Friday, January 29, 2016

I LOVE Tintri Clones! - Easy as 1 - 2 - 3

Hi Friends,

Still learning, still feel like a newb, but I'm learning about more Tintri goodness everyday!  One of my co-workers and I are setting up a new VDI environment and I've been getting to play with Tintri clones.  They're awesome!  They even make me look like a pro!!  Since Tintri is VMware aware it makes the clones super easy to create, customize and make available to VMware.

Today I thought I'd show you how easy it is to create one or multiple copies of your virtual machine using the Tintri VMstore.  Before you ask, yep, you can create clones using the Tintri vSphere Web Client Plugin directly from vCenter or you can use VAAI Copy Offload using the native vCenter clone but today I thought I'd start off with the Tintri GUI.

Step 1
Log into your Tintri VMstore.  Select the virtual machine you'd like to clone, right click it and select "Clone".


























Step 2
Select if you want the snapshot to be Crash or VM consistent, give the clone a name, a Datastore, Host/Cluster, if you want a Customization Specification, how many clones and then click Clone.



For those of you not familiar with Customization Specifications, it's a feature in VMware vCenter that allows you to select customization steps for your new virtual machine so it will have it's own identity without running Sysprep.  Pretty cool huh?!?!

Yes and you read that right, I can create multiple machines at the same time!  OH YEAH!!!


Step 3
There's my new virtual machine and you can see towards the bottom of VMware vCenter all the creation, re-configuring, customizing and registering are happening automagically.

























That's it!  See, I didn't sneak in any extra steps.  :-)  Easy as 1 - 2 - 3

This calls for a Flash Jump!


















Until Next Time,
-Brain

No comments:

Post a Comment