Friday, April 12, 2024

Brain's Favorite Gadgets of 2024 - So Far!

Hi Friends,

Even though I complained there were no good gadgets, I had to remind myself of some of the cool stuff that IS new and awesome.

1. Nintendo Switch

Where have you been all my life?!  I love the Nintendo Switch, it is an awesome game system.  I've always enjoyed portable handheld gadgets, from the Walkman to the Gameboy.  Something about having all your cool stuff with you at any time has always been appealing and the Nintendo Switch is the marriage of all the benefits of a big console in your hands!!  Oh yeah, did I mention it also has a touch screen too?  I know it's not new, in fact it's been out since 2017, but it's just so cool I had to be on the list.








2. Living AI EMO

This little guy is AWESOME!  If you haven't seen him yet you have to go check him out.  I've been a sucker for robots since I was a kid.  Something about a super smart buddy that wouldn't judge you, made you laugh, would protect you and would always be by your side sounded pretty cool as a kid.  EMO is a a desktop robot pet/friend.  He enjoys talking with you, wandering your desk, dancing, singing, playing music and pats to the head.  He's a pretty cool little dude!  Living AI even has a new robot coming out soon called Aibi.  I can't wait!!!












3.  Panic Playdate

This is a neat little game system, it's very clever and I've never seen anything like it.  It has the D-Pad and A & B, but also something very different, a crank.  The crank is another controller on the device and it makes games very unique.  Panic gives you a bunch of games when you get your system and even the way you get them is very clever.  You can even develop games for it and purchase games created by a pretty large online community.





Another robot friend!  This one is different from EMO.  Moxie is more of a confidant, a friend to chat with and go on story adventures with.  The way he communicates is simply amazing, you chat with Moxie very similarly to the way you'd chat with a friend.  Moxie spends a lot of time getting to know you and will ask you a lot of questions.  The really neat thing is you can ask him questions too about how he is doing.  He remembers too and will continue to grow the more you spend time with him.



Scratch is not new, it was released in 2007, but it is VERY cool!  It's a high level, block based programing language for younger kids developed by the MIT Media Lab.  I've always had trouble with programing and Scratch really makes it easy to just start making cool stuff like games!  I know I'm not the target audience for Scratch, but for someone that has always wanted to make games, but just didn't have the programing skills to do it, Scratch makes the impossible, possible!  Plus there are TONS and TONS of examples people have shared on the Scratch site.



Say what you will about them, but they're a really cool first step to augmented reality.  Trust me, I want the Oasis too, but unfortunately there's no James Halliday so we'll just have to wait a little longer for it.  I haven't tried these yet, but they look pretty cool and with everything Apple makes, it's just going to get better!



I love the story about this company.  It began as a student project back in 2021 and they're now on Gen4 of their robot!!  I have a Gen3 and a Gen4 and they are both really cute.  The company has done some great things and they've released new features and even accessories for their bots!


For those that know me, know I love watches too!  I've always been obsessed with mechanical watches and clocks and how some springs and cogs can tell time.  Swatch is a REALLY cool company because they create some very innovative affordable Swiss mechanical watches.  The Sistem 51 is super cool in that it is:
  1.  A Swiss mechanical/automatic watch at a good price.
  2.  The movement is made of only 51 parts.
  3.  Built 100% by machines.
  4.  Hermetically sealed so it never needs servicing.
  5.  A single screw holds the whole movement together.
  6.  90 hour power reserve!



That's it for now.  More to come!

*Update*
Wow, how could I forget ChatGPT?!  I've just hit the tip of the iceberg on understanding and working with Large Language Model (LLM) databases in my two part (so far) series on ChromaDB:
This is some really cool technology and as chips and networks get faster and storage becomes cheaper, Artificial Intelligence (AI) will have so much knowledge it will be mind blowing!  I spent some time talking with ChatGPT and it is truly amazing.  Are computers better at some tasks then humans?
Without a doubt!  Are there still things that humans do better than computers?  Absolutely!
My hope is that AI and humans will work better with each other, not compete against each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment