Wednesday, April 10, 2024

What's After the Plastic Age?

Hi Friends,

I was going through some of my old blogs and I came across 

Dr. Brain's - Gadgets of The Year for 2015


and


I was noticing that the gadgets really haven't changed much since then and it's been eight years!  Yeah, yeah I know there was a pandemic in there but I wonder if there's more to it then just time.

Now don't run away yet, hear me out.  Humans are always looking and exploring for MORE.  We're never content with what we have or what we know, we always want more.  And that has lead to some pretty amazing stuff; Computers, airplanes, cars, telephones, nuclear fission power plants, space ships and more!

We tend to break out our "jumps" in technology with Ages.

Stone Age:
2.6 Million Years Ago - 3,300 BC
Basically you've got humans running around and someone thought it would be a good idea to use a rock as a hammer!

 










That's some pretty cool stuff if you're used to using your hands or teeth as tools.

Bronze Age:
3500 BC - 1200 BC
Someone found some shiny "metal" stuff?  Decided to heat it up over  a fire and mix it with some other shiny "metal" stuff and look you can make cool pointy things out of it!!



















Notice most of this stuff is weapons of war?  But hey, beats trying to keep your flint axe from shattering!


Iron Age:
1200 BC - 500 BC
Hey, we found some other shiny "metal" stuff that we can heat and put other stuff in and mold into harder pointy things!!



















Gotta love those Hittites!  Yes I know it's not ALL weapons of war, but funny what is usually represented.

Industrial Revolution
1760 AD  - 1840 AD
Yeah so there's a big gap between 500 BC and 1760 AD, but you know some stuff happened, gun powder, yada yada yada.  But look at these cool train things we made!!















Plastic Age
1907 - Today
Apparently in 1907 Leo Baekeland invented Bakelite!  It was the first fully synthetic plastic.



















Now I know there's a big difference between a space ship and plastic, but it's the root of the age.  Plastic has helped combat diseases, created new products for us like computers, helped grow food and the list goes on and on and on!

So what was the point of this history lesson other than enabling you to spend your precious time doing something other than what you should be doing.  What's next?!  For years I've been hearing about carbon nanotubes and how that's going to be the next "it" thing, but I'm still waiting....

I'm a technology maniac and I LOVE tech.  This drought of tech is driving me crazy and I hope I'm around for whatever the next IT Age is!  :-)

Until Next Time,
Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment