Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Java Catch-22

Hi Friends,

Today I found myself in a Java "Catch-22" and wanted to let you know how I got past it.  I loaded up a webpage that needed Java to run the utility.  The page told me that only Internet Explorer and Firefox were supported.  If you've read my last blog, I let you know that Windows 7 is going away so I decided to jump on the Windows 10 band wagon.  I know, about time Neil!

Anywho, I'll just load up Edge cause that's the IE replacement right?  Nope, the page didn't recognize Edge as IE.  Ah crap!  But that's okay, I still have Firefox!  Firefox will work right?  I load the page and I'm told I need to update Java.  No problem, a couple of clicks and Viola!!  Hmmm, still not working...  Maybe a restart of Firefox will work!  Nope...

Okay, okay, time for my buddy Google.

Firefox:
Apparently Firefox version 52 and above have removed the NPAPI plugin support for Java.  So I can't enable the plug-in.  Doh!!!
https://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

Edge:
Apparently the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and won't run Java....  UGH!!
https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win10_faq.xml

So see my predicament...  I tried Chrome for the heck of it, but nope, that didn't work either.  So I looked around a bit and realized that Edge can open a page in IE.  Whaaaaat?!?!?


























So I went to the page that needed Java in Edge, then selected the Open with Internet Explorer and it worked!!

I'm not sure how long that will be in Edge or how secure it is, but bravo Microsoft for helping me out of the difficult predicament I was in!

All the best,
Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment