Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Stranger in a Strange Land - XenDesktop on Hyper-V

Hi Friends,

I'm embarking on a new journey, installing XenDesktop on Hyper-V.  If you've been reading my blogs you've noticed when it comes to the hypervisor I'm pretty much a VMware guy with sprinkles of XenServer.  I'm now in uncharted waters as I sail into the Hyper-V ocean.  Like it or not, you're coming with me!!  :-)

I'm using Hyper-V on Windows 2012.  The first thing I noticed is there's NO start button!!  How am I supposed to stop the server when there's no start button?  And where's the start menu?  If you cruise the mouse over to the lower right hand corner a little menu will pop up that will give you start menu type of stuff and if you click on the gear you can power off the machine.

I've got two Hyper-V machines clustered together and I'm using Microsoft's SCVMM to administer them.  It's kinda like vCenter, kinda.































Take a look at the image.  At the top you can see my two hosts.  If you click on VMs and Services you'll get to see all the VMs currently in your environment.  The Library is interesting.  You put your ISO's in there and then can mount them up on the virtual DVD drives.

Let's take a closer look at my SQL Server machine that I've just created.  If we check out the properties on the machine you'll see there's lots of helpful stuff including where the virtual machine's parent I cloned it from lives on your storage.

My SQL Server installation just finished and everything succeeded, so I'm pretty happy!


























So as I continue exploring XenDesktop on Hyper-V you'll get front row seats!  Off to install XenDesktop!

Until Next Time!
-Brain

No comments:

Post a Comment